Skip to main content

tv   Piers Morgan Tonight  CNN  October 21, 2012 9:00pm-10:00pm EDT

9:00 pm
been looking for. you can read more of my thoughts in a "time" magazine essay, thanks for tuning in to this gps special. you can always catch my regular show on sundays at 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. eastern. international viewers can go to our website for air times, tonight with just days to go until the final debate, can obama have the same -- >> it took eight to 12 years to get us in this situation, what is four years to get us out, no? >>. >> so make that kind of money means i get to reinvest it in
9:01 pm
what i do. >> did you think you would be world famous for cross dressing? >> the first time i did it, i never thought it would last as longs as it did. >> tyler perry, the greatest success in --. this is piers morgan tonight. >> you have become one of the
9:02 pm
most successful entrepreneurs and stars in the country. what is going on in america right now that is preventing more tyler pers coming through. because clearly they're not coming through in the same number.
9:03 pm
>> you're a very wealthy guy, very successful, self-made. you've earned every cent. what is your advice for those who are out of work now, you've been in that position, craving employment and not being able to get it. what is your advice that 23 million other americans who currently are out of work and want a job? >> for me, i can tell you this. this may not be good advice for every person that's out of work but for a lot of people, what i found even when i was going through and homeless and trying to find a job and all those things, sometimes it means that you ought to try something else, something different, something new, because there were times in my life where i lost a lot. i lost an apartment but eventually i got a home. so i lost a job but i created a business. so if there is an opportunity for one to create a business, this may be the time to do it, while things are the way they are, the way they are now, so as the economy changes, you'll see it grow. >> it's a fascinating race now, it's neck and neck in most of the polls that you see. what is your view? i know you've been an obama supporter publicly. you've also praised romney for
9:04 pm
his debate performance after the first debate. watching the second debate and looking forward to the third one, what -- >> i'm not actually looking forward to the third one. i thought the last one, watching it and looking at all the campaign ads and i live in georgia so there are a lot of ads there, i want it to all end. i want to get out, i want everybody in america to get out and vote, let's put all of this to bed so the country can start to move forward and stop all of the -- just all of the nasty back-biting and back and forth. it really disturbs me. >> it does seem to me a great shame in a country like america, which was built on being this tolerant, accepting country that took everyone in and treated you well when you got here, to watch two presidential candidates kind of looking like they're about to slug it out onstage, calling each other liars and then these ridiculous attack ads that come out, whether it's big bird or binders of women, whatever they can latch on to to attack, missing the big point, which most americans want to focus on, what is going on there? why is it getting so fractious? >> unfortunately, being in the business that i'm in which is show business, i realize that a
9:05 pm
lot of things is smoke and mirrors. a lot of it is dust and let's hide the facts. i think that most americans, before you vote, you just should become as educated as you can about both president obama and the candidate and make your choice there. so i'm just, again, tired of the smoke and mirrors and i think it's all about let's hide the facts, let's bury the facts as best we can and the way you do that is with all these negative ads and pretty soon you start hearing it and you think is that true? and most times, people don't have the time to go and actually fact check and that's what a lot of people are counting on. >> reminds me of stacy dash, who just because she said she wanted to support romney this time, exercising her right as anybody in america can do to vote for whoever they like, got absolutely annihilated on social media.
9:06 pm
it was a vicious, horrible manner. what did you think of that? >> i think it's awful that it happened but let me tell you, being a person who is in the spotlight and having some sort of recognition, i think that it is tricky, it is tricky to be in a spot where you would like to support a candidate and stand with them but you also are a celebrity and you have people from both sides who love what you do. >> right. >> so it's very tricky. you have to walk a very fine line not to offend. now, it's certainly not her fault. she can support whomever she would like, but i think the attacks on her, again, i am not a person that deals in negativity at all. i think it's awful. we are all allowed to support whoever we would like to in this country. that's the greatest part about being american, one of them, that is. you know what i mean? so i think she has the right to do that. i think it's a bit unfair. >> how has barack obama done? obviously the first african-american president,
9:07 pm
first black president of this great country, huge moment for any other black american. tell me how you felt when he got elected, tell me how you think he's been doing since. >> i'll never forget the day he got elected because it was such a moment for me. i had fallen asleep because i was so exhausted, i was trying to wait for the numbers to come in and i hear screaming on the television. i open my eyes and it's ebenezer church in atlanta, where dr. king once was, and all the people are screaming and they're so excited. for me, what it meant was this country had evolved into a place where if you can go back to dr. king's dream, you know, not about the color of your skin but the content of your character. so just the thought that we could have an african-american president and these little brown faces, his children would be sleeping in the white house, was beyond moving to me. and that didn't just say a lot about african-american people. that said a lot about the country and all of us collectively. so i think it was beyond moving. beyond moving. very exciting.
9:08 pm
>> was it a problem for obama that he became this almost god-like figure, the expectation level was so high, this hope and change ticket everyone thought my god, he's going to rid the world of all known diseases, you know, et cetera, no one could live up to that hype. >> well, here, the truth is, he said this, once he got into the white house, he realized that the problem was a lot worse than what he thought. i heard someone say this and i thought it was great, he volunteered to take over the titanic after it hit the iceberg, you know? so i think that he has done a great job in stabilizing the country and keeping the auto industry and other companies working and going, but i think there's still a great deal to be done. >> tell me the reason it's fascinating, the election, you could mark up a school report for obama, it's pretty positive. you could look at what he did in detroit, saving the car industry. you can look at the ending of the war in iraq, the decision to pull troops out of afghanistan, the killing of osama bin laden. you could look at what he did with gay rights and coming out in favor of gay marriage and so on.
9:09 pm
all these things are big things that he's done, and you say okay, you've done well. on the other side, you look at nearly 8% unemployment, $16 trillion debt, $5 trillion more than when he started. and you start to think okay, does he deserve four more years, can any president deserve four more years if those two big figures loom large to the electorate? >> i think about it this way. here it is. if it took 8 to 12 years to get us in this situation, what is four years to get us out, no? you know, i am excited at the possibility of there being a plan in place that will pull this country out of the situation that it's in. that's what i would like to see. that's what i'd like to know more about. >> is america more or less racist after four years of its first black president? >> that's a very interesting question, and my answer to that would be i'd like to think that it isn't, but the fact that he
9:10 pm
was elected as president says a great deal about the thought and mentality of many people, because african-american people alone could not have put him in office. so it says a great deal and he's not just an african-american president. he's a president of the united states for all americans, you know? so i'd like to think that it is. >> i see a recent poll, obama, 92%, romney 3% support among likely black voters. i just don't think that helps the debate either. it doesn't help that almost no black people in america want to vote for one of the two candidates. >> historically, african-american people are democratic. historically. >> but is that healthy? for america? >> is it healthy for america? you know what i think is healthy for america? >> is it healthy that black people maybe can't feel they can be republicans? when stacy dash sticks her head above the paraput and immediately gets cut off, people tell her she sold out, is that helpful?
9:11 pm
>> first of all, i don't think it's healthy. i don't think it's helpful, i don't think it's healthy to attack her for her views. she's clearly allowed to have the views she has. she's allowed to vote for anyone she wants to. that's the country that we live in, right? but to think that again, i think a lot of it comes down to we as african-american people understanding what is best for us and if most of us feel that it is democratic, then that makes sense. >> we'll just take a short break, come back and talk about where it all started for you. you're a fascinating guy. you went through hell, i'm not overstating it, when you were young. looking at you now, you seem a man at peace but you may just be a good actor. i know you're a good actor because your new movie is out, "alex cross." here's a clip. >> dr. cross, you're taking this personally. >> about as personal as you took running out of that building with your tail tucked between your legs. i'm so glad you called. thank you.
9:12 pm
9:13 pm
we're not in london, are we? no. why? apparently my debit card is. what? i know. don't worry, we have cancelled your old card. great. thank you. in addition to us monitoring your accounts for unusual activity, you could also set up free account alerts. okay. [ female announcer ] at wells fargo we're working around the clock to help protect your money and financial information. here's your temporary card. welcome back. how was london? [ female announcer ] wells fargo. together we'll go far. [ female announcer ] wells fargo. mike rowe here at a ford tell me fiona, who's having a big tire event? your ford dealer. who has 11 major brands to choose from? your ford dealer. who's offering a rebate? your ford dealer. who has the low price tire guarantee... affording peace of mind to anyone who might be in the market for a new set of res? your ford dealer. i'm beginning to sense a pattern. buy four select tires, get a $60 rebate.
9:14 pm
use the ford service credit credit card, get $60 more. that's up to $120. where did you get that sweater vest? your ford dealer.
9:15 pm
a back now with the one man entertainment empire, tyler perry. tyler, you weren't called tyler perry as a boy. you were named emmitt perry, jr. you changed your name you said to distance yourself from your father who let's be honest, sounds pretty brutal. used to beat you relentlessly as a young man which must have had an effect on you. >> well, of course it did. but you know, i was able to forgive him in my mid 20s and that changed my life, because what i did was, what i think a lot people don't realize or understand is that their parents have a story, too. so whatever happened in your life, because of them, you really need to find out the story so that you can understand it. what i found about he and his sister and his brother, they were all found by a white man in rural louisiana in a ditch. he was 2 years old at the time. he was brought to a 14-year-old woman named may to raise. her father was bedridden, very old man, was a slave, and everything that she knew to do
9:16 pm
to get these children to behave was to beat them. she would tie them in a potato sack, hang them in the tree and beat them. so that's what he knew. that's what he came from. >> he had been abused. >> he had been abused his entire life. third grade education -- >> how did you find this out? >> i found it out by asking questions finally of him. >> so he told you? >> he told me a lot about it. my aunt told me about it, other people in the town, small town in louisiana where he grew up, told me about the story. so it helped me to understand a lot of who he is, which made it easier for me to let go and forgive him. >> hard to forgive, though. >> it is. it is. but it's very necessary, because what i found is this. this is so true, if you do not forgive, you hold on to this thing inside of you that can change your life and take you in the wrong direction. nine times out of ten, the people that have done things to you are asleep and at peace and you're holding on to it, and it can really literally become sickness in your body and make you physically ill. so i think that forgiveness is beyond important.
9:17 pm
>> is he still alive, your father? >> he is still alive. >> what kind of relationship do you have with him? >> we don't speak very much but i am taking care of him. i make sure he has everything he needs. >> you support him. >> absolutely. 100%. as a child, he wasn't a great father, but he was a great provider and he had an incredible work ethic, so he definitely gave me my work ethic. >> do you think despite the way that he manhandled you and beat you and so on, did you feel he loved you? >> no. never felt that. never felt that. i felt very strongly that there was something there and i didn't know what it was, and when i was about 30, my mother told me he never thought that i was his child. >> really. >> so that was another thing i didn't know, which caused a lot of issues as well. >> did you have that out with him? >> i did. about four years ago, i asked why, and all he could tell me through his tears was this is what he said, you don't know what happened to me. which clearly made me stop and go you know what, i don't. but that doesn't justify what you did, but i will take that and i will try and consider it
9:18 pm
and understand it and make it work for the better of both of us and this relationship as father and son. is he proud of you? >> i think so, because in any situation he's in tears. every situation that happens he cries. >> guilt, do you think? >> every award or come to one of my shows, and i always thought it was tremendous guilt. >> has he ever said sorry? >> no. he hasn't. he hasn't. >> would you like him to? >> at this point, i don't know if it matters. i really don't know if it matters. because i really have, i really am done with it. so i don't know if it matters if he says i'm sorry. >> by contrast, you had this amazing relationship with your mother who sounds a fabulous woman. >> yeah. >> sadly died a few years ago. tell me about her. >> she was again, born in the same little small town. her mother died when she was 13
9:19 pm
years old, she met my father when she was 17. he would visit her every week and show up in these new cadillacs and buicks and she thought he was rich and would take her to live on his cattle ranch, this is what he told her. they get married, she goes down to new orleans, they end up in a juke joint for 12 hours looking for a place to live. she had no idea. so she left my grandfather and moved in with him and her sole support was my father. so that's all she knew. all she knew was she would go to my aunts and say we're having trouble, he's fighting me, he's hitting me, what should i do and they would say stay with that man, he's good, he's got a job. it was a different time back then. so she was a great woman, wonderful story. she worked at a jewish community center for many years, taking care of little kids there, and was just a beautiful, beautiful soul who only knew how to love. there were so many people, i remember as a boy waking up and there being people in the house all the time who needed a place
9:20 pm
to stay, who needed food, who needed anything. she was just a wonderful, wonderful woman. >> what would she make of what happened to you? she must have been stunned or did she quietly think all the time he will make something big of himself? >> you mean of all the success? >> yeah. >> it was remarkable to her because she would always say to me, she always wanted to live like miss chancellor on "the young and the restless" and she never thought she would so the greatest -- the greatest gift in my life was what my audience has given me and that is the opportunity to take care of her and have her live the best life that she could. >> i read a lovely story that she passed a car on the road, a red jaguar and said i would love to have one of those. did you ever get the chance to buy her a red jaguar? >> i did. i was a little boy at the time. we were driving and she said i really like that car and i said when i get big, i'm going to buy you that car. i was in new orleans at the same theater, this is before katrina, and called her up onstage one
9:21 pm
night, i think it was close to mother's day and i gave her the keys to the car. that was a great moment. so many tears in the audience, so many tears from her. >> what did she say to you? >> just -- she was speechless. just the thank you and the love. here's a woman who never asked me for a dime. never asked me for a dime. but as a little boy, watching all that she had gone through, i wanted to do everything i could to take care of her, to make sure she had the best life she could and because of my audience, god bless them, i was able to do that. >> after the break, let's talk about money, fame, love and oprah. >> okay. >> maybe they're all linked in some way. >> all together. up. a short word that's a tall order. up your game. up the ante. and if you stumble, you get back up. up isn't easy, and we ought to know. we're in the business of up. everyday delta flies a quarter of million people while investing billions improving everything
9:22 pm
from booking to baggage claim. we're raising the bar on flying and tomorrow we will up it yet again. one is for a clean, wedomestic energy future that puts us in control. our abundant natural gas is already saving us money, producing cleaner electricity, putting us to work here in america and supporting wind and solar. though all energy development comes with some risk,
9:23 pm
we're committed to safely and responsibly producing natural gas. it's not a dream. america's natural gas... putting us in control of our energy future, now. since ameriprise financial was founded back in 1894, they've been committed to putting clients first. helping generations through tough times. good times. never taking a bailout. there when you need them. helping millions of americans over the centuries. the strength of a global financial leader. the heart of a one-to-one relationship. together for your future. ♪
9:24 pm
9:25 pm
you're a cute little thing. >> get your hands off of me. >> who you think you're talking to, old lady? >> you don't know me. i'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt. now get the hell up from the table. >> i run this prison. i'm big sal. what big sal wants, big sal gets. >> i guess nobody told you that i'm madea. ma to the damn d-e-a. you understand that?
9:26 pm
>> tyler perry, grimacing there with a mixture of joy and horror of the character he created and made a huge franchise. an amazing franchise actually came out of that. >> joy and horror. that's just about right, piers. yeah. yeah. >> you ever think when you were young and started treading the boards that one day you would be world famous for cross dressing? >> never in a million years. even the first time i did it i never thought it would last as long as it did. i just thought i saw eddie murphy do it, the brilliant eddie murphy and said okay, i'll try my hand at a female character and i did it. the audience won't let it go. >> oprah had a great line about this which is probably true. she said i think tyler grew up being raised by strong black women. so much of what he does is really in celebration of that. i think that's what madea really is, a compilation of all these strong black women that i know, maybe you do, too, and so the reason it works is because people see themselves. >> sure. sure. yeah. what i found is that as i've traveled the country, that madea isn't just a black woman.
9:27 pm
there are lots of other madeas from -- i met a jewish madea, an italian madea. >> it's about strong women. >> absolutely. there were a lot of those women around me. my mother was one. my aunt was another. this woman carried a razor all the time. these women were very strong and you wouldn't want to run into them in a dark alley. >> last year forbes listed you as the highest paid man in entertainment, at $140 million. wow. any comment? >> no. >> you feel comfortable talking about it? >> it drives me in insane. it really drives me insane. i'm grateful for it, i really truly am, i don't necessarily want it printed. i don't think people want their income printed. >> if i owned that kind of money, i would want it printed. >> it's certainly not about
9:28 pm
showing off. you know what that means, to be honest is this, to make that type of money means that i get to reinvest it in what i love. >> tyler perry's studio. your motto is a place where even dreams believe. i love that. >> i read this story of david in the bible. but he was a dreamer and he was in prison and the dream kept reminding him to keep going, but the dream itself kept believing, that's where the mantra came from. sometimes things get so bad in your line that your dream has to remind you and keep going. >> what is the best thing about money? >> the best thing in my entire life was being able to support my mother. >> what what are you
9:29 pm
ridiculously jealous wanting to help people? >> it's very difficult for me to watch the news because i always want to find a way to reach out. >> that's a nice idea. >> thank you. >> why do you feel awkward talking about it? >> because i just feel that to whom much is given much is required and everybody doesn't have to know all of the other sides of it, whatever you do for people and the kindness show you, isn't necessarily for everyone to know. >> other people i have interviewed that have been successful, there doesn't seem to be any drug related alcohol period, where you have had to go into the betty ford, how is it that you go with superstar fame. >> it's been 100% my faith in god and believing and praying all time. because this entire life, when i look at what people go through and how they go through it and
9:30 pm
there was a friend of mine and michael jackson and the struggle. i understand what brings you to a point of i need some relief. i completely understand it because the pressure of the situation can be really difficult and demanding and it doesn't affect you as much as it affects everybody around you, which in turn will affect you. so i understand that. >> that's a very good point. that's a point that people don't see often enough. how can superstars have pressure. it's not a coal miner, it's a very similar port of pressure, because their fame causes all kinds of ripple effects. their family members betray them and it's a very difficult situation for them. >> if i didn't have my faith in god, i wouldn't have it. and the fact that you have your
9:31 pm
income there for everybody to read, because you're the same person you have always been. couldn't have been more gracious to me. >> great interview, too. you know, there's not much i can say about her that isn't known. what you see is what you get. >> that's true. >> she is who she is. i mean, i think that's why the oprah winfrey show and her legacy and everything that she's done has been so profound, because it is all authentic and real to the millionth of the inch, it's all very, very real. it comes from her soul and her heart and what she does and wants to do is inspire, uplift and encourage to be able to join forces and go in, because i'm
9:32 pm
i'm very honored to have had an opportunity to work with her. to be able to join forces and going in because i'm moving toward having my own network and we get an opportunity to help each other. i have programming and can produce content and she needs programming content and she has experience of starting her own network so it's a great tradeoff and great situation. when we come back, we're going to talk about love, romance, marriage, romance and morgan freeman. >> in that order. i have a cold... i took dayquil, but i still have a runny nose. [ male announcer ] dayquil doesn't treat that. huh? [ male announcer ] alka-seltzer plus rushes relief to all your worst cold symptoms, plus it relieves your runny nose. [ sighs ] thank you! [ male announcer ] you're welcome. that's the cold truth!
9:33 pm
[ male announcer ] you're welcome. ♪
9:34 pm
(train horn) vo: wherever our trains go, the economy comes to life. norfolk southern. one line, infinite possibilities. boring. boring. [ jack ] after lauren broke up with me, i went to the citi private pass page and decided to be...not boring. that's how i met marilyn... giada... really good. yes!
9:35 pm
[ jack ] ...and alicia. ♪ this girl is on fire [ male announcer ] use any citi® card to get the benefits of private pass. more concerts. more events. more experiences. [ jack ] hey, who's boring now? [ male announcer ] get more access with a citi card. [ crowd cheering, mouse clicks ]
9:36 pm
let me see your hands. let me see your hands! put down the gun. put down the weapon now. do it now! is this what you want to die doing? drop the gun! put your hands behind your back now, sir. [ gun shots ]
9:37 pm
>> action hero is tyler perry in the new film "alex cross." big departure for you. never seen you in quite this role. you enjoy playing an action hero? >> i looked at the character's arc which was very interesting to me. one thing that made me say no was morgan freeman. >> that's like replacing sean connery in bond or something. >> the manage played ---the man played god. >> he's my movie god. >> yeah, he played god in a movie. i couldn't -- i'm like -- but as i look at james patterson's description of the physicality and the age and family, and i thought, he's talking about me. so i gave it a second look and i loved the arc that i get to play in this role. i get to go from family man to the brilliant psychologist figuring things out to chasing down a bad guy to this lion being unleashed at the end of the movie. i'm super excited about it.
9:38 pm
>> you're also super slim, tyler. you've lost 30 pounds? >> yeah, i've lost 30 pounds. >> how did tyler perry drop 30 pounds? how did you do it? >> mostly i worked with the trainers, anthony goldston, great guy. there's a book that really helps with prayer and working out. >> isn't it basically that you just don't eat as much. >> you don't eat as much and you move a lot more. i was working out and running five miles. this guy eric in atlanta who worked with me was amazing at -- i did it for fife minutes and i couldn't get off the floor, i could not get off the floor. but it amazing to get you to really shed the pounds. >> let's talk about love, tyler. >> no. >> let me ask that again. let's talk about love, tyler. >> okay. fine. let's talk about love. >> how many times have you been properly in love in your life? >> what does that mean? what does that mean?
9:39 pm
>> that's what oprah said to me. i said the type that makes your heart ache or break. that's what it means. that kind of love. >> if i told you the truth, i would get in trouble. >> why? >> because -- so alex cross is an amazing movie. >> tyler, tyler. i'm not letting you off the hook that easily. >> all right. once. >> really. >> once. yeah. yeah. >> and what went wrong? >> i think we were both very young. well, we were mid 30s. it was a very scary time in my life. i was just coming into success. i had spent 28 years of my life being very unhappy and i was very afraid of it. i was very afraid of the feeling of not being able to know if she loved me the way that i loved her. and the control i think scared me.
9:40 pm
>> was it in the end your decision to walk away? >> yes. it was. >> do you regret that? >> no, i don't. >> you thought it was the right thing? >> yeah, because we both were in a place where -- i just realized i should not have said this because -- i should not have said this. >> why? why shouldn't you have said it? >> because i said too much. now she'll figure it out. yeah. >> what will she figure out? she knows what happened. >> why don't you ask another question. why don't you ask another question. >> this is a fascinating side to you because you're being so nice about it and so honest. >> okay. all right. so what do you want to talk about now? >> i suppose the obvious question after that is do you hope to have that again in your life? you're so busy, so successful -- >> that's part of the reason that i'm so busy. there's a woman that i'm seeing now that i love very very much. it's a different kind of love but i love her very, very much. >> now i'm beginning to work out why you dug yourself into a hole.
9:41 pm
>> now you see me trying to dig myself out of the hole. >> yes, i did. >> what i'm trying to do at this point is just enjoy it all. i'm not ready to settle down, not ready to get married, not ready to be in a situation where i have a commitment. not ready for that. especially after that situation. >> i see. so you went through a very deep experience and you just want to be sure next time that it's right. >> what's the rush? >> yeah. >> i'm a guy. i'm 43. >> don't you want little tylers running around? >> yeah. i want that more than i want to be married, though. i have to find a way where i'm okay with that happening. >> i wish you luck. there's no hurry. you can do what you like. you probably have a queue -- you call them lines here. you have a line probably the length of manhattan of potential suitors, i would imagine. >> i appreciate that. moving on to something else? thank you so much. wow. all right. >> do you want a glass of water?
9:42 pm
>> in no, it's all good. i need a shot of vodka, that's what i need at this point. >> kim kardashian, is to marriage counseling what better th than -- >> i wrote a film that is coming out in march and it's called a marriage kaucounselor. it's a cautionary tale about making bad decisions in relationships. i had no idea she was going through a divorce. >> did you know who she was? >> i had heard of her, but i didn't know all that she had done. but what i know about her is this, she's a sweet girl, she
9:43 pm
came in and did a great job, she was very professional. >> there are millions of people who look up to the kardashians and i think it's very good to have a cautionary tale about making bad decisions, so if fans of her are watching and coming in, then she's doing a great job and i'm doing a great job of putting on the movie. >> she has 5 million followers on twitter. what she is is very hard working and beautiful. let's take a break and come back and talk about a fabulously talented one, whitney houston. a tragic loss, and i want to know, you were a friend of herself and you tried to help her. and many other people weren't successful.
9:44 pm
children laughing ] [ slap! slap! slap! ] [ music, laughter stop ] [ male announcer ] when your favorite foods fight you, fight back fast with tums smoothies. so fast and smooth, you'll forget you had heartburn. ♪ tum tum tum tum tums [ male announcer ] tums smoothies. starts with arthritis pain and a choice. take tylenol or take aleve, the #1 recommended pain reliever by orthopedic doctors. just two aleve can keep pain away all day. back to the news. bp has paid overthe people of bp twenty-threeitment to the gulf. billion dollars to help those affected and to cover cleanup costs. today, the beaches and gulf are open, and many areas are reporting their best tourism seasons in years. and bp's also committed to america. we support nearly 250,000 jobs and invest more here than anywhere else. we're working to fuel america for generations to come. our commitment has never been stronger.
9:45 pm
hand-carved on the side of a cliff is the guoliang tunnel. what?! you've got to be kidding me. [ derek ] i've never seen a road like this. there's jagged rock all the way around. this is really gonna test the ats on all levels. [ derek ] this road is the most uneven surface, and it gets very narrow. magnetic ride control is going to be working hard. the shock absorbers react to the road 1,000 times a second. it keeps you firmly in control. whoa! [ male announcer ] the all-new cadillac ats.
9:46 pm
anne's tablet called my phone. anne's tablet was chatting with a tablet in sydney... a desktop in zurich... and a telepresence room in brazil. the secure cloud helped us get some numbers from my assistant's pc in new york. and before i reached the top, the board meeting became a congrats we sold the company party. wait til my wife's phone hears about this. [ cellphone vibrating ] [ female announcer ] with cisco at the center, working together has never worked so well. everyone in the nicu, all the nurses wanted to watch him when he was there 118 days. everything that you thought was important to you changes in light of having a child that needs you every moment.
9:47 pm
i wouldn't trade him for the world. who matters most to you says the most about you. massmutual is owned by our policyholders so they matter most to us. if you're caring for a child with special needs, our innovative special care program offers strategies that can help. [ male announcer ] unisom helps you fall asleep faster and stay asleep. so i wake up rested. [ male announcer ] unisom. fall asleep faster. sleep longer. my special guest tyler perry. it's been a fascinating
9:48 pm
experience talking to you, you've been an honest, open book. >> i don't mind being honest, i just don't want to share everything. >> we touched on whitney houston, a friend of yours. you have been quite candid about trying to help her. you rang her or felt compelled to ring her on the night that michael jackson died. >> yeah. >> because they were similar age, similar kind of problems. you realized she may be going through turmoil over that news. tell me about that. >> it was -- i haven't talked about it publicly, actually. i'm surprised that you know that. how do you know that? >> i know everything, tyler. >> i called her that night. i had been trying to get her all day. i called her that night and she had donny hathaway's "a song for you" blasting in the background. i'm surprised she could hear me. we talked for awhile. she was really broken up by his death and i didn't know if she was thinking about herself, but i was trying very desperately to get her to let me come over to the house and just sit with her to make sure she was okay. and whitney in true fashion, after me trying for about five, ten different times, she said
9:49 pm
listen, i'm a mother and i'm a woman and i'm single and you're not coming over to my house in the middle of the night. in the way only she could. but it's beyond tragic and i was so disgusted, i must tell you, i was so disgusted at the media and the way that they handled her death. it was -- it was so blatantly disrespectful. the paparazzi, this is what i mean about fame, even in death, trying to get her, just her body from the morgue to the plane. >> you supplied the plane, didn't you? >> i did. i did. this was -- it was beyond awful. i tell you, we tried to send a decoy. they found out we had the body in a van and there were paparazzi 50 deep following the van. i had to move the plane into the hangar, close the door and bring the van in. one person, one of the hired drivers is trying to take pictures of them putting her body on the plane.
9:50 pm
it was just beyond disrespectful for her family and everyone else and i understand she was a superstar but she didn't deserve to be treated that way in the media toward the end. you know? toward the end, you know? and they asked me to come down to the beverly hilton and walking into that hotel room and seeing -- it was so bizarre. i'm thinking these people cannot know she has died. there's a party going on. this can't be true. i go upstairs to the floor and her family is there. they're all in tears, and i'm in the room with them, and the coroner and the police are three doors down from where we are, and i'm looking at the water on the table as the family is breaking down. it's vibrating from the bass below. i think what is this? what is this that this woman's life is not worth a moment of silence to so many people when she's meant so much? so it was beyond hurtful in many ways. >> very sad, indeed.
9:51 pm
in "alex cross" your new movie -- >> let's talk about something else. >> gun violence is a big thing of mine on this show. i come from a country -- a continent where it doesn't really exist in the same form it does here. there's kind of a weird relationship between an american and his or her gun. do you think that the candidates w should be doing more to bring in tougher gun control? >> absolutely. i completely 100 thrs think so. anytime somebody can walk into a movie theater and do something like, that absolutely, there should be more done for gun control, and you're speaking to a kid who grew up in the inner city where there were drive-by shootings all the time, friends who were murdered, so absolutely. >> kasim reed, the mayor of atlanta, came on the show last week, and he's a big proponent of gun control, too. he's in a city where it's
9:52 pm
obviously rife, chicago, washington, d.c., and others. what needs to be done? who is going to take on the gun lobby here? >> yeah. you're asking the wrong person. you're asking the wrong person because i don't know enough about the laws to speak in an educated voice on it. but i think it should start with just tougher screening to own guns. maybe there should be a psychological profile, not just, you know, criminal, but a psychological profile that's filled out in order to be able to own a gun. >> i totally agree. >> yeah. >> terrific movie, very strange to see you in that kind of movie. i wasn't expecting it, really enjoyed it. i could see you as a new james bond. >> you won't see me as james bond. why n why. >> yf not. the first black bond? >> it should be will smith. this is it, buddy. i'm not getting any skinnier.
9:53 pm
>> final question, if you could relive one moment in your life before you died, and i had that power to give you, what would you choose? >> there is one moment, and i'll probably regret it for my entire life. my mother was on her deathbed, and she told me, she said, i just want it all to be over, and i got so upset, i couldn't hear it. and i wish i had listened to what she had to say because i felt that in that moment there was so much she wanted to share with me and had i been able to hold myself still and listen, i probably would have had a lot more of my life's questions answered. >> that's a very poignant thing. >> yeah. >> tyler, it's been a prael pleasure. please come back again sooner than 20 months or whatever it was it took me to get you. best luck with the movie. >> thank you very much. >> it opens in theaters this weekend "alex cross" terrific film. best of luck.
9:54 pm
>> thank you very much. >> good to see you. >> and you as well. >> tyler perry. we'll be right back. ♪ ♪ ♪ we're lucky, it's not every day you find a companion as loyal as a subaru. love. it's what makes a subaru, a subaru. constipated? yeah.
9:55 pm
mm. some laxatives like dulcolax can cause cramps. but phillips' caplets don't. they have magnesium. for effective relief of occasional constipation. thanks. [ phillips' lady ] live the regular life. phillips'. ♪ [ male announcer ] this is karen and jeremiah. they don't know it yet, but they're gonna fall in love, get married, have a couple of kids, [ children laughing ] move to the country, and live a long, happy life together where they almost never fight about money. [ dog barks ] because right after they get married, they'll find some retirement people who are paid on salary, not commission. they'll get straightforward guidance and be able to focus on other things, like each other, which isn't rocket science. it's just common sense. from td ameritrade.
9:56 pm
9:57 pm
it's just common sense. syou know, i've helped a lot off people save a lot of money. but today...( sfx: loud noise of large metal object hitting the ground) things have been a little strange. (sfx: sound of piano smashing) roadrunner: meep meep. meep meep? (sfx: loud thud sound) what a strange place. geico®. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance.
9:58 pm
>> translator: two years after the earthquake, the situation is still the same. the people are still under the tents. they don't have electricity. there is no security where they sleep. they are getting raped. in haiti things are very difficult. before the earthquake, there were rapes happening. now, i can say it is total disorder. adults are not spared, mothers are not spared, even baby are not spared. my name is malya.
9:59 pm
i am a victim of sexual violence. i am on a mission to eradicate this issue so that other haitian women do not fall victim. we do awareness in the camps. we were working in 22 camps after the earthquake. now we are trying to work in others. we tell people to come out of silence, do not be afraid to say that you have been victimized. we offer psychological and legal support. we have a call center. we accompany the victim to the hospital, and we have a safehouse program. for me the first thing is justice that i want. i was a victim, and i did not find justice. but i know i will get it for other women that are victims.


info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on